I used to be a good Catholic. Now I am simply a good person.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

The minister's wife



It's interesting to me that some people are so presumptuous about religion. I had a yard sale at my house today. I met so many really nice people. Most will wish me good luck with the yard sale as they leave.

One very nice lady took her purchases, thanked me, then headed to her car. A few seconds later she was back and handing me a pamphlet. She told me that her husband is a minister for a small Baptist congregation. Then she asked what church we attended. I said, "We go to Calvary... right down the road." Okay, I'm not exactly a member, but I did attend mass with my son a few times, so I can't say I was outright lying to the woman. She proceeded to tell me that if we ever wanted to attend a smaller congregation, they are Christian, and we are more than welcome.

Obviously, we won't be visiting her church. I could have been mean and told he we don't believe in God. Instead, I took her offer in the way it was intended. She meant to share something that is good, maybe because she saw us as nice people. On the other hand, I think religion is a very personal thing. It's like... you wouldn't go up to a woman and offer Weight Watchers pamphlets assuming she wants or need to consider her weight. And you certainly wouldn't randomly go up to a man and invite him to a gay-only club!

I think it's a risk to be presumptuous about a person's beliefs or lifestyle. Most times I take the gesture as someone being nice, and I they must find something appealing about me to invite me to join in something that is so personal and meaningful to them.

I did read the literature she gave me and the most disturbing thing I read:

"The Bible is our sole authority for faith and practice."

(Thanks, but I'll pass!)

Anyway, I thanked the woman for her kindness and thoughtfulness. I feel bad that she wasted a perfectly good pamphlet on me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment