I used to be a good Catholic. Now I am simply a good person.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Angel cards

My mother was introduced to angel cards. Her group of friends does this when they go to Nags Head every year. The way it works is you infuse your power into the cards by touching each one, then you fan them and place them on your chest. Next you close your eyes and think of a question or something you want. Then you pick your card. The card will give you insight into what you wished for and provides a prayer.

The cards my mom has are specifically for healing, because she is battling cancer. Of course I play along with the angel card game. I am the person who is with mom the most, and she really enjoys playing this game with me every day. She has chosen some cards that are right on the mark with her and what she is going through. She truly believes what the cards are telling her. One of them referred to a "miracle." That is exactly what she wants. She wants a miracle to cure her so she has more time. That particular card pissed me off because there will be no miracle, and what do I say to her when she asks where her miracle is?

You know that "psychic" John Edwards who claims to communicate with dead people and we all know he's a fake? Yeah, the cards are like that. Those who need to believe will stretch as far as they can to find relevance. In a way it's harmless, I suppose. If taken too literal, it can be a bit devastating.

The cards are okay. It's something mom likes me to do with her, and my feigned interest is the least I can do. It's helping her hold onto hope that she will win the battle over cancer. I hope she gets her miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment