I used to be a good Catholic. Now I am simply a good person.

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Removing God


The initiative to take God out of schools started when Madalyn Murray O'Hair (founder of the American Atheists Organization) filed a lawsuit claiming it was unconstitutional for her son to participate in prayer and bible readings in school. It was ruled on June 25, 1962, that prayer was no longer permitted in the schools.

The aftermath of one of the deadliest school shootings brings up the question, "Should God have been taken out of the schools?"

I wasn't there when this decision was made. I went to Catholic schools all my life, so it didn't affect me. I had to research when this occurred, and was surprised it happened before I was even born.

If God was never taken from the public schools, would the world be a better place? You could argue that, yes, it would be, because the righteousness of God would be ingrained on a daily basis. If the parents weren't praying with their kids at home, at least they were praying in school.

But why should it be up to the school? Ultimately, it is up to the parents to ensure that their children are following a Christian life.

America is a melting pot of different races and beliefs. I can see why it's important not to shoehorn kids into the Christian routines of prayer and bible readings. I don't understand why religion can't exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment