I used to be a good Catholic. Now I am simply a good person.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Believer versus non-believer

Non-believer article on CNN | Believer response to non-believer on CNN

CNN published an article that could potentially be tagged as offensive. Finally an Atheist speaks. I immediately read the article, which was well-written, and pretty open-minded, in my opinion. The author basically said she made her choice in how to raise her children, but she didn't actually attack believers. Well done.

A few days later, CNN published a response written by a dad. He seemed well-spoken, and had his thoughts laid out nicely, but he was defensive. I could feel myself getting frustrated and wanting desperately to add a snarky comment.

Part of the fun with these controversial topics is the feedback by readers. Some people seriously need to get a life! Each side can go on and on trying to convince the other side that they are ridiculous! What is the point? Neither side is going to suddenly have a lightbulb moment and say, "Dang, I think I was wrong!"

I think people react so strongly out of fear. The believers fear the world will go to pot without God, and the Atheists fear that believers will dominate the world and suppress free-thinking and logic.

I didn't add a comment to the non-believer article because I agreed with her, particularly her statement that religion belongs in the home and in the church.

The non-believer, however, really ruffled my feathers and I felt compelled to comment. He was DEFENDING religion and God. And I ask, "Why?" Something so personal should not need to be defended--it just is! And if people don't accept that, who gives a shit! I sat in front of my computer for about an hour, drafting and re-drafting a response. I didn't want to be one of "those" people who feels like my opinion is welcome or will really change anything.

In keeping with my choice to be open-minded, this is what I posted, along with one single response.





No comments:

Post a Comment