I used to be a good Catholic. Now I am simply a good person.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I was in a meeting for our diversity team at work. It was the kickoff meeting where we were welcoming new members. We went around the room for introductions, and each of us shared one "diverse" thing about ourselves. One person shared that she followed a religion called, "Bahai," that she recently started following after being raised Catholic. She's very into this religion, which is pretty cool.

Since I love learning about different religions, I did a little reading about Bahai. I liked what I read.


When my turn came, I said there is nothing really that diverse about me (nothing fascinating, anyway), so I said, "I'm not religious at all, but I love learning about different religions." And then I looked at my Hindu friend sitting beside me and we both smiled. She so very openly shares information about her faith, and I love that about her.

Why can't I say, "Atheist?" I am an Atheist. I should not be afraid to share that.

I still think there is a stigma around it. It's not that I'm afraid that people won't like me. If people don't like me because I don't believe in deities, then that's their problem, not mine. My fear is shutting people out, or having them believe that I'm against all religions (which I'm not--well, maybe Catholicism).

No comments:

Post a Comment