I used to be a good Catholic. Now I am simply a good person.

Friday, January 6, 2012

I don't believe in funerals


  • I think it's unethical to take advantage of people when they are at their weakest.
  • I think it's stupid to spend a fortune on a casket that will just rot in the ground.
  • I think it's a shame to waste space in the earth by burying bodies.
  • I think cremation is the way to go, but keeping ashes is disgusting.
  • I think open caskets are gross.

I decided that I don't want a funeral. I don't want to be buried. I don't want a clergyman to talk to the mourners about how God has bigger plans for me and how I'm at peace with God in heaven. That's bullshit. I am donating my body to science. They can use my body in any way they choose, then dispose of it however they wish. The beauty of it is that it won't cost a cent! I can die for free and my kids can keep the thousands of dollars instead! How great is that?!

Okay, that's me.

Others may feel differently. I think of people who have lost loved ones tragically and at a young age. How can you skimp on the funeral? I'd like to think that I would be logical if I was ever unfortunate enough to have that experience. I suppose if you lost a child, you would feel funny cremating him or her. Two of my nieces died very young. Both had open caskets. The circumstances made it seem more proper to go that route. For the baby who died, the family was not charged for the funeral.

I know that the funeral is for the living, not for the deceased. After all, the deceased person certainly has no knowledge of what type of funeral they were given. I understand wanting to honor your deceased loved one, but I want to make it clear and easy on my surviving loved ones. Keep the money, give my body to science, and remember me in photos, not in a casket in the ground and certainly not as ashes on a mantle!

No comments:

Post a Comment