I used to be a good Catholic. Now I am simply a good person.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Blessed


This is my high school class ring. It was blessed by a bishop that my step-father knew. I suspect that it was a bigger deal to my parents than it was for me. In fact, I gave my class ring to a boyfriend. When my mom found out she drove me right over to retrieve it. I wore this ring during the second half of my senior year, then it sat in a drawer for the next 27 years.

This is where I bring up issues with my step-father. I can't explain what it was about him and religion. It's like he felt he was better than everyone else because he was in tight with his church, and also had connections with higher levels, like the bishop. He frowned upon those who weren't as religious, and it didn't even matter if you were religious--he always acted like he was better and just "more" religious than everyone else.

So, what became of the ring? I sold it. My step-father, if he were alive, would be so angry to know that I sold the "blessed" ring. My mother wouldn't be too happy either. While I'm grateful that my mother did what she could to give us the "typical" high school experience, I really did not like my high school and don't care to have any memories of it. So the ring is gone. To be honest, I didn't exactly run around advertising proudly that it was blessed. Uncool.

Sorry mom. I really did appreciate it at the time, but it's time for me to close that chapter of my life and move on. Maybe the "blessed" gold will bring someone else good fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment